Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Kembe fem, Stay Strong

by Tom Larkin

February 10, 2010

In my favorite movie, It's a Wonderful Life" George Bailey stays in Bedford Falls, while his brother goes to college, then to war, living the adventurous life that George had aspired to. Reading of your travels, through our new blog, I feel like George Bailey left behind to conduct the battles of Bedford Falls, depositing checks, sending money to Haiti, answering emails, talking to new people about our work.

When George told Mr. Potter off in the office of the Bailey Savings & Loan, he portrayed such passion because he believed what they were doing was important, in that it allowed people to work and live with pride and dignity. Somehow I feel a little like George. Everywhere I go I talk about the wonderful work our team is doing. And my new labor as spokesperson has become a passion I find hard to stifle, and yet my heart is also with all of you as you share your love and compassion with our Haitian brothers and sisters.

I know sometimes the work and accomplishments seem small, when you observe the magnitude of the obstacles before you, but in the eyes of the mother or child who looks to you for comfort you mean everything. You also represent the love and compassion of the many here who have loved and sacrificed by sending their donations to aid our Haitian friends through your hands.

We are all one team, doing what each of us can. I am so proud of all of you and all who have become part of this great effort to help our Haitian friends. It is sometimes in these moments of contact, one person to another, that we sometimes see the face of God. You are that point of contact in Haiti, but we are all sharing those moments with you, and I am also witness to similar encounters here as outpourings of compassion continue. I have the privilege of being the middle man who understands what is happening on the ground, but also feels the tremendous love our friends in America are showing them. Tell them. Tell our Haitian friends that we are not forgetting them, we are standing side by side working hard to provide what help we can. Tell them also that we are grateful for the inspiration they show us by how they live.

Kembe fem, Stay strong.

Lespwa fe viv, Hope makes us live.

No comments:

Post a Comment