Tuesday, February 9, 2010

First Day in Working in Port au Prince

by Jim Morgan

February 9th 2010

Family and friends,
First day working in Haiti. What can I say but how moving an experience it was. The drive through the city with its crowded conditions and degree of poverty is beyond imagination or what a camera can capture. You need to see it, hear it, and smell it (I say this not because it was offensive, but just the gas fumes, dust, charcoal burning on streets, and dust).

When we arrived at school where we were to have our first clinic, its destruction was very apparent. Abner had everything arranged for use of 2 concrete rooms and we hung tarps for extra shade for the patients. Then the children just came out of nowhere. Some with parents, some not. I was anxious at first, not about catching anything, but realizing I might be seeing things I had never seen before. I was correct when my second patient had malaria as did one of Megan. What a joyous feeling when we had Chloroquine to Rx both of them. One child may have had TB. Wound and skin infections.

Heart arrythmias. But most of all, lots of gastroentestinal illness and URIs we see everyday. Difference, they don't have a clean home (if one at all) to go back too. Always smiling, they left with saying "mesi very much" even if we did nothing more than tell them they were going to be OK. Back at base camp. Spaghetti and a cold beer never tasted so good. Listening to Creole choir in night behind me so I'll say bon yuit (good night). Mesi for everyone's thoughts, support, and prayers.

-Jim

2 comments:

  1. Jim, thanks for all you and the team is doing out there and thanks for this blog! It is really inspirational to track your journey and read everyone's thoughts. Keep up the good work & stay safe. -Sophie Connolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete